Escarole & White Bean Soup
4 to 6
About this recipe:This soup is perfect for any time of the year. It also tastes deliciously thick and creamy - without the heaviness of dairy to weigh it down.
- 2 TB olive oil
- ½ head fennel, end trimmed, sliced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can navy beans, rinsed, drained
- ½ head escarole, chopped
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp za’atar
- ½ tsp cumin, ground
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ⅓ cup orzo
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 to 2 TB lemon juice, to taste
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fennel fronds, for garnish
- In a 4 quart stock pot over medium heat, add oil. Add fennel and sweat until soft and translucent, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Mix in beans, escarole, onion powder, za’atar, cumin and cayenne and cook until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 6 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add orzo and cook until soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add lemon zest and season with lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle in oil to taste and a few fennel fronds for garnish.
Shop Mediterranean Essentials
In this recipe
Our newest extra virgin olive oil, developed specifically cooking and baking.
Our highest polyphenol EVOO straight from Southern Greece.
Our highest polyphenol extra virgin olive oil complete with chic, white Kosterina gift bags.