Falafel is one of our favorite meals: it's versatile, tasty and packed with healthy proteins. Most importantly, it's not that difficult to make! You could serve it with a side of hummus or in a pita pocket.
1 cup dried chickpeas
1 cup chopped onion
5 cloves of garlic
2 TBSP. fresh parsley, chopped
2 TBSP. fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1½ tsp. cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
4 TBSP. All-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
---- Kosterina olive oil for shallow frying
--- hummus (store bought or use our favorite Kosterina recipe)
--- green or red onion, minced
--- seedless cucumbers, diced
--- parsley, minced
--- pita pockets
- Place the dried chickpeas in a large bowl filled with water to cover them by at least 2 inches. Soak them overnight or for at least 14 hours. After that, drain well and pat them dry.
- Place the drained chickpeas, the onions and the garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse several times to combine. Next, add the parsley, cilantro, seasoning and spices. Process again until blended but not pureed. Sprinkle in the baking powder and the flour, and pulse. Check the mixture. You want to be able to form a small ball with the mixture, that does not stick to your hands. If necessary, add a little more flour.
- Empty the mixture into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least one houror even overnight if you are not ready to cook them.
- Remove the bowl from the refrigerator. Fill a medium skillet with ½” olive oil. Form the chickpea mixture into small patties about ½” thickness each and set on a plate. (I prefer forming patties instead of balls because they cook faster this way).
- Set the skillet over medium-high heat and when it gets hot, carefully drop the patties in the oil. Shallow fry them in batches, for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown (the time depends on their size).
- Place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Serve warm as part of an appetizer spread, topped with minced red onion, parsley and with a small bowl of hummus on the side.