This fresh, light spring meal is as tasty as it is simple. Green beans and radishes beautifully compliment this flavored chicken. Enjoy for dinner - and save a bunch for leftovers!
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)
4 TBSP. Kosterina extra virgin olive oil
4 small boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, pounded to ¼” thickness
--- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
5 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 cup water, room temperature
6-8 oz. French green beans (Haricot Verts), trimmed
--- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1 TBSP. Kosterina extra virgin olive oil (optional)
2 medium spring radishes (optional)
2 TBSP. fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, minced
1 medium lemon (zest and juice)
- Heat a large fry pan over medium-high heat and add 4 TBSP of the olive oil.
- Pat the chicken dry and season both sides generously with salt and pepper. Place the chicken in the pan and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip the chicken over, add the garlic, and cook for another minute or so.
- Add the water to deglaze the pan, scraping the sides and bottom with a wooden spoon to get up all the browned bits. Cook on a low boil for a few minutes and then add the green beans, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt. Cover, reduce the heat and cook for about 4 minutes, or, until the green beans are cooked but still tender and the liquid is reduced.
- While the chicken is braising, slice the radishes thinly, then cut them into matchsticks. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a small skillet and sauté the radishes for about 3 minutes. (This additional topping is optional).
- Just before the chicken is ready, uncover the pan, stir in the parsley, lemon zest and juice. Remove from the heat. Top with the sauté radishes (if using) and serve.
- The cooking time of this dish depends on the thickness of the chicken.
- You can substitute sugar snap peas (trimmed and stringed) or spring asparagus (cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces) for the French green beans, if desired.