Chef and cookbook author, Anna Francese Gass, developed this incredible flourless chocolate olive oil cake using Kosterina Original EVOO and our Nuts, Cinnamon & Honey Dark Chocolate bar. She added a cinnamon mascarpone cream topping and it couldn't be more perfect.
8 ounces chocolate, 60% dark
½ cup Kosterina Original Extra Virgin Olive Oil
5 large eggs, separated
½ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1 teaspoon honey
¼ cup black cocoa powder
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 Kosterina Nuts, Cinnamon & Honey Dark Chocolate Bar
1 cup heavy cream
4 ounces mascarpone cheese
3 teaspoons confectioners sugar
ground cinnamon, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a double boiler and melt the dark chocolate with olive oil. Mix to combine and set aside and allow to cool.
- Separate the eggs into two large bowls.
- Add sugar to egg whites and beat until increased in volume and very frothy, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- To the yolks, add the cinnamon, espresso powder and honey and mix to combine.
- Add the cooled chocolate to the eggs and combine. Add the cocoa powders and mix again.
- Fold in the egg white/sugar to the chocolate mixture and gently mix to combine.
- Chop up the Kosterina chocolate bar into the batter and mix again to combine.
- Line a springform pan with parchment and grease sides with butter or cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly to cover the bottom.
- Bake for 25 minutes and then remove from oven.
- Allow to cool in pan for another 10 minutes before moving from the pan and serving.
- Serve with chopped pistachios, a dollop of mascarpone cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
1 cup heavy cream
4 ounces mascarpone
2 Tablespoons confectioners sugar
- Beat all the ingredients together until it begins to get stiff. Serve on cake.