- 1 lb fresh green beans, washed, trimmed
- 1 lb yukon gold potatos, washed and cut into med cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, small diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 28 oz crushed tomato
- 2 dry or fresh bay leaf
- water just to fill surface
- Kosterina EVOO
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- In a large dutch oven, heat ¼ cup of kosterina EVOO over medium heat. Add the onions and sweat until tender. Follow by adding cumin, oregano and cook another 2 min.
- Season potatoes with salt and pepper and add to the pot and cook for 2 min then add crushed tomatoes, bay leaves, and water. Bring to a boil then lower to simmer. Cover and simmer for 45 min.
- In a separate pot with salted water, bring to a boil and blanche beans and cool in ice bath. Add green beans to the Fasolakia at the 40 min mark or just about done and stir pot. (note: you can add the beans to the same pot instead of cooking separately. I prefer to cook separately so the green beans keep its bright green color)
- Taste and season accordingly. Add chopped parsley for garnish and serve with rice pilaf, sliced baguette or pita bread.
Shop Mediterranean Essentials
In this recipe
Our newest extra virgin olive oil, developed specifically cooking and baking.
Our highest polyphenol EVOO straight from Southern Greece.
Our highest polyphenol extra virgin olive oil complete with chic, white Kosterina gift bags.