Couscous & Apples
4 to 6
- 2 pink lady apples, cored, chopped
- ¼ cup + 3 TB olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp sumac
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ½ cup pearled couscous
- ¼ cup rosemary leaves
- 5 small sunchokes, scrubbed clean
- 2 TB apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted, plus more for garnish
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven 375ºF.
- Make the rosemary oil. In a small saucepan, heat ¼ cup oil over medium heat. Gently add all of the rosemary. When the oil is no longer bubbling, strain the oil and reserve. Transfer the fried rosemary onto a paper towel-lined plate and salt lightly.
- Roast the apples. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, toss apples with 3 TB oil, sumac, cayenne and onion powder. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then roast until soft, 20 minutes. Set aside.
- In a pot of boiling salted water, add couscous cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Strain and rinse with cold water.
- Thinly slice sunchokes then toss in a mixing bowl with vinegar to prevent oxidizing.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine apples, couscous, sunchoke mixture and almonds. Season with 2 to 3 TB of rosemary oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with fried rosemary, almonds and black pepper.
Shop Mediterranean Essentials
In this recipe
Specifically crafted with cooks and bakers in mind.
Our highest polyphenol EVOO straight from Southern Greece.
Perfect for the household that loves to cook and bake.