When you can replace your favorite (unhealthy) snack, with a healthy and tasty version of it - why wouldn't you? These baked zucchini fries are pretty much our favorite snack. Just don't become addicted to them!
2 organic zucchini (each about 5”-6” long)
¼ cup All-Purpose flour
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 TBSP. water
½ cup panko bread-crumbs
½ cup Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
¼ tsp sea salt
--- freshly grated black pepper
--- non-stick cooking spray
- Wash the zucchini and trim away both ends, leaving the skin on. Cut each one in half, length-wise. Cut each half into ½” slices. Trim away the seeds from each slice and discard.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Prepare the breading station: in a medium bowl place the flour; in a second bowl (or deep plate) beat the egg with one tablespoon of water; and, in a third deep plate combine the bread crumbs with the Parmesan cheese, the Italian seasoning, the salt and pepper.
- Working in batches of four pieces at a time, dredge each zucchini slice in the flour, dip it in the egg mixture (allowing excess liquid to drip off), and then coat it evenly with the breadcrumbs, pressing them to adhere. Place the breaded slices on a platter while you work with the other batches.
- Coat a cooling rack well with non-stick cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
- Place the slices on the oiled rack in a single layer. Bake them on the middle rack in the oven for about 20-22 minutes or until golden brown and crisp (baking time will depend on the size of the zucchini slices). Check often to ensure proper baking. If your oven does not get hot enough, move the baking sheet to a higher rack to help with browning.
- Remove from the oven and serve the zucchini fries warm with your favorite dipping sauce.