The Magic Pill: A Food Documentary
There has been some controversy over this documentary because of some claims that it makes that nutritional ketosis can help cure serious disease. I won’t address that here but there are 2 interesting elements that I took away from it:
1) The food advice was very consistent with what I’ve been reading lately. The writers and producers recommend the following:
- Eat whole foods
- Eliminate processed foods
- Eliminate vegetable oils
- Eliminate grains and legumes
- Embrace healthy fats – olive oil, avocado, coconut oil, animal fats, eggs
- Avoid dairy but if you must – eat full fat, organic
- Select naturally raised animals, pastured animals, wild caught sustainable seafood, eat nose to tail, bone broths, organ meats, fermented foods
- Fast intermittently
Besides the organ meats (wholly unappetizing to me) and fermented foods (am just not there yet), this advice is what I have been focusing on and working into my diet. And it feels great.
2) The most impactful scenes for me were those where a team of food experts went into people’s homes and cleaned out their pantries to rid them of foods that were processed, high in sugar or contained trans fats. In some cases, they literally threw away everything in the pantry – cereal, ketchup, oatmeal, pasta, crackers, chips, sodas, etc - and made me realize how EDUCATION is really the most important piece of making health change in this country. We will do our part at Kosterina to spread knowledge on what’s healthy and what we should and should not be eating for optimal health!
It turns out there is no magic pill but the way I see it, if we can educate ourselves on a few small changes we can make to our daily routines to reduce our risk of disease and overall improve our longevity, that could be magical.
Shop Mediterranean Essentials
Our highest polyphenol EVOO straight from Southern Greece.
Our highest polyphenol extra virgin olive oil complete with chic, white Kosterina gift bags.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar: a match made in the Mediterranean.