Katerina's Greece Travel Guide
As we officially kick off summer this weekend and begin to look ahead to a very different next few months, I'm excited to share my Greece travel guide with you. Growing up having spent all my summers in this beautiful country, there are so many places that hold a special place in my heart - and still so many more I'm excited to visit.
If you're planning to travel overseas this summer (Greece is now open to vaccinated travelers!) - or even if you have your eyes set on a European summer sometime in the future - bookmark this note as a planning guide.
Here are some of my favorite places in Greece:
I recommend doing 1 - 2 nights in Athens. If you're able to splurge, some of my favorite hotels are: The Grand Bretagne (it's very central, right in city center) and the Four Seasons Astir Palace - which is a bit outside of the city on the beach and more of a resort property.
Some of my favorite things to do in Athens are:
- Visit the Akropolis and Likavittos.
- Spend time at Monastiraki, the outdoor market in city center.
- For high end shopping, stroll through Kolonaki or for more casual shopping, enjoy Glyfada which also has lots of good restaurants and outdoor lounges by the water.
- If you have a bit more time, I recommend a day trip to Delphi for some ancient ruins and incredible sunset views.
Ah, Mykonos, how I love thee. Mykonos is by far my favorite place in the world and while it has a party-island reputation it can definitely be done low-key if that’s what you’re looking for. Check out Petasos hotel or the Belvedere right in the center of town.
While in Mykonos, don't miss:
- The beautiful beaches -- Nammos is a trendy hot spot but worth checking out. Psarrou is also not to miss. If you are in the market for a wild afternoon dancing on tables, check out Paradise or Super Paradise beach.
- If you're up for adventure, you can also rent a boat and tour around several beaches.
- Sunset cocktails with at Caprice, my favorite bar in town.
- Mykonos Town has tiny, twisty streets and allows no cars. I recommend getting lost in the town and stopping for Jimmy's Gyros for lunch (or late night snacking) but it's also home to many incredible restaurants and cute shops. Mykonos is always top of my list!
Make sure you:
- Drink lots of wine while watching Santorini's famous sunset. Oia is the place that has beautiful sunsets so if you stay in Fira, definitely make your way to Oia a couple of times to witness the beauty!
- Visit the famous black sand and red sand beaches. Santorini sits on a volcano so the beaches are very picturesque but are not like the traditional beaches white-sand shores elsewhere throughout the country.
- Like on many other Greek islands, enjoy the incredible fresh food the Mediterranean has to offer. In Santorini, you must have Fava. (Our version of Santorini Fava is the next best thing).
I also highly recommend the Peloponnese region of southern Greece -- home to the cities of Sparta, Kalamata and Tripoli. I think of the Peloponnese as true Greece as it is still largely untouched by tourism. Koroni, Greece is my hometown and a beautiful, quiet seaside town with no major hotels. The Costa Navarino Resort is one of the most beautiful places I've ever stayed and I highly, highly recommend it.
Other incredible places to explore are the islands of Kefalonia, Corfu, Paros and Crete. I can go on and on forever but I'll pause here and will share more next time! Everyone needs a Greek vacation at least once in their lives. Some of us need many more than just one!
Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone!
Shop Mediterranean Essentials
Our highest polyphenol EVOO straight from Southern Greece.
Extra Virgin perfection: one for cooking and one for drizzling.
The perfect combination of tangy and sweet, fresh crushed fruit and no added sugar.
Taste all of our flavors with one each of our extra virgin olive oils and balsamic vinegars.